To learn about the self-submit feature, you have two options:
- Watch an instructional video.
- Review our step-by-step guide.
Step 1: Understand Self-submit
At times, due to occasional technical challenges, we may encounter difficulties with auto-paying your rent. If that happens, we'll send you an email or push notification asking for your help to finish the payment. You can do this by self-submitting or manually paying your rent with Flex.
Don't worry, you can still split your rent into two payments when using self-submit. The only change is that instead of Flex paying your rent automatically, you'll manually make the payment through your property's resident portal using a Flex-funded payment method, like a bank account or a debit card, that we provide to you in your Flex app.
Step 2: Access the Flex-Funded Payment Method
To access the Flex-funded payment method, click on "Get Started," then "Continue." The payment method will then appear, usually as a bank account, but sometimes as a debit card. You'll also notice two additional buttons on the payment method screen.
- Need more account info?: This button provides you with extra details you may need when adding Flex’s payment method to your resident portal. It contains details such as bank name, account type, billing address and more.
- See other options: This button lets you choose different actions. If you encounter issues using the bank account, you can switch the payment method to a debit card. Additionally, if you'd rather not use Flex's self-submit feature, you can request a refund of your 1st payment through that link.
Step 3: Self-submit Your Rent
Once you have your Flex-funded payment method, add it to your resident portal as a new payment option and simply pay your rent! Remember, if you encounter any issues adding a bank account, such as being asked for a micro-deposit code, you can easily switch to a debit card within your app, and if you need further payment method details, you can find them in your app too.
- Pay the full rent amount using the Flex-funded payment method.
- Exercise caution and submit the correct amount, as Flex will charge the amount used, and is not responsible for any fees incurred due to incorrect submissions. The virtual debit card or bank account may only be used to pay your rent.
- If you share rent with roommates, only pay your portion of the rent bill.
- Submit your rent payment before 8 pm EST on the 5th of the month to ensure it is processed successfully. Any self-submissions after this time will be rejected.